Where to stay in Providenciales?
So, you finally booked your flights to Turks and Caicos and the next question is: Where is the best place to stay during your vacation? Well, I’ve got the answer. It doesn’t matter if you’re a family of six, a couple in love looking for a romantic getaway or anything in between. I have the perfect fit for you! When Sharon visited Turks and Caicos 8 years ago, she fell in love with the Islands and decided to build a home right in the heart of Grace Bay.
Before I show you the stunning interior, let’s meet the hostess Sharon —
When did you visit the island the first time?
We first visited Turks & Caicos in March 2012. We knew very quickly that Turks would be our forever home. After years of travel to many amazing places around the world, these islands have stolen our hearts.
Why and when did you built the house?
The house was completed in March 2017 and we have been happily welcoming guests since then. You can find out more about Turnstone House at www.turnstonehousetci.com or on Instagram @turnstonehousetci
Why Grace Bay?
Grace Bay Beach has been voted the World’s Best Beach for many years in a row. We chose to build in Leeward, at the east end of Providenciales. It’s a gated community, just close enough to everything, but a bit off the beaten bath. Turnstone House is a quick 200 meter walk to a wide, quiet part of Grace Bay Beach with gorgeous sunset views from the house or the beach. It also offers easy access to Provo Golf Club, Blue Haven Marina, and many restaurants and shops. If you’re feeling adventurous, the ferry to explore North and Middle Caicos is just down the road.
What is your favorite spot in the house?
It’s hard to choose one favorite, but I would have to say the upstairs deck overlooking Grace Bay and the sunset is high on my list! Also, there’s nothing quite like being in the house with all the walls open to outside, surrounded by my artwork, with the breeze blowing through. My husband would say the hammock in the backyard is his favorite spot, and for my boys, the pool, especially at night with the colored lights on!
Features of the House? Why should they rent your house?
Turnstone House features 3 king bedrooms, each with access to the outdoors, and 3 full bathrooms. One of my favorite design elements is the full private outdoor bathroom featuring a double shower that is open to the sky. The house also has a private saltwater pool, lots of lounging space, full living/dining/kitchen area outside and a fully fenced, gated yard. And of course, the poolside hammock!
Turnstone House is light and modern and all of the furniture was carefully chosen to allow for comfortable living in a modern coastal style. It is complemented by my artwork, both photographs (@sanddollarimages or www.sanddollarimages.com) and paintings. The silver fish wall by Phillips Collection is a standout too!
Recommendations for future guests? Like renting a car, must things to do etc.
We do recommend that our guests rent a car to allow them to explore the island and get around easily. Our preferred provider is Grace Bay Car Rentals ( www.gracebaycarrentals.com ). There are SO many things to do in Turks & Caicos, but I would say my Top Five Don’t Miss are:
- An excursion or activity with Big Blue Collective (@bigbluecollective or www.bigbluecollective.com ). They offer everything from snorkel and dive trips on our reef, kayak and SUP exploration of the mangroves, 1/2 and full day boat charters and kiteboarding lessons. If you want to try something new, this is the team to do it with.
- Shopping at Atelys (@atelyss or www.atelysadrian.com ). Located in the plaza by Caicos Cafe, if you are looking for a super special gift for yourself (you deserve it!) or someone at home, you will find stunning hand crafted silver jewelry made by Atelys. If you don’t see exactly what you want in store, she will work with you to create something custom. She carries a selection of items from other local artists as well (including @sanddollarimages).
- Snorkel at Smith’s Reef. Smith’s Reef is located by Turtle Cove Marina on Grace Bay Beach. Cross over the bridge, go left and follow the road all the way to the end. There is a parking area and a large board on the beach describing various coral head locations. Beautiful water and lots of fish life and turtles can be found here!
- The Fish Fry. Thursday night is party night on Provo! The Fish Fry is a place where both tourists and locals gather to enjoy food from a wide variety of local restaurants, live music and have the opportunity to shop the work of local business and crafts all in one place. Arrive early as it can be quite crowded.
- Long Bay Beach. Situated on the south side of the island, Long Bay is on the Caicos Banks. The shallow water and typically onshore wind, make this a superb spot for kiteboarding. Walk the beach, come watch the kiters at play or give it a try yourself with Big Blue.
Your Favorite Restaurants?
There are so many great restaurants to choose from. Here are just a few of our favorites. Dinner at Coco Bistro ( www.cocobistro.tc ) and/or Cocovan ( www.cocovan.tc ). These two restaurants, one high end and the other more casual, are right down the road from Turnstone House and next door to each other. The atmosphere and food can’t be beat! No reservation needed for Cocovan, but call ahead for Coco Bistro (way ahead during high season!).
We also highly recommend Lupo in Regent Village, Caicos Cafe, happy hour at Grace Bay Club on Friday evening and da Conch Shack in Blue Hills for dinner on the sand. Shay Cafe at Le Vele Plaza is excellent for breakfast and lunch as well as Lemon to Go, just around the corner.
A few other things to keep in mind:
- Turks & Caicos is home to some of the most incredible natural beauty in the world. Many of our Cays and Islands are protected by the 3rd largest barrier reef in the world. The reef and our mangroves are populated by turtles, sharks, rays and an extraordinary variety of fish and other sea life. We are even visited by whales during their migration period over the winter. We ask that you please use sun cream that is specifically reef safe and keep plastics and other trash off of the beaches in order to protect our precious resources. Carry in, carry out.
- We drive on the left! Please use caution when driving if this is new to you. Roundabouts can be especially challenging, so stay alert!
- While we are a British Overseas Territory, part of the British West Indies, our currency is US dollar. Many businesses accept Master Card and Visa as well. Cell service is generally very good, but check with your provider before you come regarding extra charges. We offer free wifi at Turnstone House for our guests.
- Turks & Caicos is a very safe destination, but like anywhere in the world, it makes sense to take the usual precautions and be aware of your surroundings, especially late at night or when you are somewhere remote. If you have the opportunity to lock up your valuables (we offer safes in each room at Turnstone House) please do so that you may relax and enjoy your visit.
- The International Airport is located on Providenciales (PLS) It is serviced by many large airlines including Jet Blue, Air Canada, British Airways, American, Delta and Southwest. Travel from PLS to our other islands can be arranged via local airlines Caicos Express and InterCaribbean. The cruise terminal is located on Grand Turk, which is about a 30 minute flight from Providenciales.
- Turks & Caicos is an incredibly special place to visit. We hope that you will chose Turnstone House as your home base to come to explore everything our islands have to offer. And if you decide to move here like we did, we’ve got a great real estate agent for you!
This house is for you:
- If you love turquoise water views and breathtaking sunsets from the balcony of your master bedroom
- If you feel at home in modern buildings and tasteful furniture
- If you sometimes prefer your private pool over the ocean
- If you’re looking for a secluded slice of heaven five minutes from the beach
- If you want to stay in a safe and local area
- If you need a break from your daily routine!